Friday 18 May 2012

The Barista as Brand Ambassador


I never thought it would come to this. But, like many consumers these days, I am addicted to coffee. It's embarrassing to admit but not even one day goes by without me having at least one. And, as my coffee dependence grows, I've become increasingly friendly with an array of baristas around town. Unfortunately though, sometimes the friendship does not last. And it's not only their coffee making ability which gets in the way. Sometimes their attitude and poor service has me taking my coffee dollars elsewhere.

I've realised that baristas are not only responsible for ensuring that their freshly roasted blends awaken our senses and our minds (and get us to where we need to be in an alert and functional state). They also play a secondary, but still big, role as a company and brand ambassador.

I'm not a coffee guru per se. I know what I like, but I don't insist on organic, South American or other form of exquisite coffee beans. Actually, I'm most satisfied when I get what I ask for (skinny latte), and some form of appreciation from the barista or cafe worker for my patronage. Let's face it, with an over-supply of providers, I have an array of coffee sellers who can provide my crucial morning caffeine hit.

I'm not asking for much. A smile, thank you, conversation or just speedy, efficient service will go a long way. In fact, the quality of the coffee is often the least of my worries if the above criteria aren't met. Somewhere out there I know there are barista superstars. How often do you hear about people who go on dates with, or become best friends with, their baristas?! But for some reason, many of my baristas barely even crack a smile.

 So my question is: How many baristas are really qualified or ready to embrace their secondary role of company and brand ambassador when you arrive for your usual order each morning? Especially if you're a new customer. As far as I'm concerned, with so many operators on the scene, they really need to be. And, to the one barista who made the worst mistake by spelling my name wrong on the cup, it's really not that hard! And, it was nice knowing you. Next.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment